Building on the progress and momentum achieved through the successful execution of our strategic goals over the last 3 years, we recently finalised our strategic plan for 2021-2024 which aims to significantly grow our organisation and increase the impact we have.
Some highlights for 2022 include:
- NZ-VR: We will begin a national expansion of the NZ-VR programme, with the aim to reach 50,000 students annually from mid-2022. This expansion will include a doubling of capacity for Auckland and the upper North Island along with the introduction of new NZ-VR units in Wellington and Christchurch, while continuing to deliver into Māori immersion settings. 2022 will also see the introduction of stunning new content about marine mammals.
- BLAKE Explorers: The expansion of the NZ-VR programme will also lead to an increased delivery of our newest programme, BLAKE Explorers, with as many as 250 students and 25 teachers participating in Auckland, as well as the introduction of the programme in Wellington and Christchurch. This programme sees year 7-8 students experience a three-day introduction to the ocean through snorkelling, surfing, rockpooling and kiwi spotting.
- BLAKE Inspire: Together with Ministry for the Environment, we will deliver the week-long BLAKE Inspire student programme three times in 2022, as well as an additional programme for young sailors in partnership with Yachting NZ. 2022 will also see the expansion of the hugely successful BLAKE Inspire for Teachers, which will also be delivered three times in 2022.
- BLAKE Expeditions: Together with the Royal New Zealand Navy, we are planning to deliver two multi-week expeditions in 2022: one to the Sub-Antarctics and the other to the Kermadecs / Rangitāhua. These expeditions enable scientists to undertake critical work and allows students and teachers to participate in the field alongside those scientists.
- BLAKE Ambassadors: We will continue to offer career shaping ambassadorships for tertiary level students in partnership with NIWA, Department of Conservation, GNS Science and Antarctica NZ.
- BLAKE Awards: The 2021 BLAKE Awards night, postponed from November, will now roll over to 2022 with the recipients selected in 2021. There will be no selection process for BLAKE Awards 2022